Mixing Vocals with UAD SparkJul 07, 2022
Vocals can be one of the easiest things we have to mix on a record OR they could leave us beating our hands against the wall after a long mixing session.
Today, I'm going to help you make mixing vocals a much simpler task by showing you my go-to vocal chain featuring only the plug-ins within the new UAD Spark subscription service. More importantly, I'm going to talk a bit about what I'm thinking and WHY I choose certain plug-ins when I'm mixing vocals.
A few things you'll learn in this video:
- My exact plug-in chain
- EQ before or after compression
- The parallel compression setting I use on 99% of my mixes and how to set it up correctly
- And more...
My hope is for you to not only steal my settings and deliver awesome vocals on your next mix but for you to learn the why behind this chain so you can begin to hear what a vocal needs and deliver professional-sounding vocals.
Learn how to deliver radio-ready vocals with my FREE Vocal Mixing Checklist!
Inside you'll discover:
- My vocal mixing rough mix process
- EQ (subtractive and dynamic EQ)
- Evaluate the Dynamics (first stage of compression, if needed)
- Evaluate the Tone (saturation)
- Additive EQ
- Parallel Compression
- Dealing with Sibilance
- Modulation Effects
- Spatial Effects (main delays and reverb, if needed)
- Ear Candy (special effects to add interest)
- And more!